Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ubiquitous Rava Upma!



Hi!
Ok! Ok! Ok!
I can see the smirk on most faces when you are reading this. Upma is a common dish in South Indian homes and at least 6 out of 10 people I know hate it. But, according to me, any dish is interesting when it tastes good. We often do not pay much attention and care to cook simple dishes and that is where we go wrong. The best thing about Upma is that it can be made in a jiffy and its a wholesome dish too! I’m sharing my recipe of Upma, and I’m sure you will love it…trust me!

Ghee – 1 tsp
Gingelly oil – 4 tbsp
Semolina/ Rava – 1 ½ cups
Boiling water – 5 cups
Finely chopped onion – 1 ½ cups
Roughly chopped green chillies – 2 ½ tbsp
Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
Mustard – ½ tsp
Broken urad/black gram – 1 tsp
Bengal gram dal – 1 ½ tsp
Fresh curry leaves loosely packed – ¼ cup

I used a non stick pan to cook this dish, so that the upma is completely non – sticky.


Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the rava on a slow flame. Keep frying until you are able to smell the rava. Keep aside.

Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add bengal gram dal, urad dal and mustard, in the same order, leaving a few seconds gap in between each addition.

Add the green chillies, curry leaves, onion and fry till the onion is translucent.

Pour the boiling water into the vegetables. After 3 minutes, add the rava, little by little. Keep stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook for 7 – 8 minutes.

Finally, add the remaining oil and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment